Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Walking Wounded: Praire Wiffle Bench







I'd been thinking alot about women's dresses from the 1880s and also about kids playing baseball in wheat fields. I wanted to make something that would capture the woman's dress and the feeling that kids get when they hid under the mom's legs while also putting childhood in a box to be looked at like in a museum- so I made a bench. The bench is made from furniture grade ply wood, I then put the back into the seat with mortise and tenon joints (you can remove the back if you want) and then put steel rods through the legs and metal "shoes" on the bottom. I then wallpapered the bench in a flowered wallpaper that reminded me of little house on the praire and running under my mom's legs. Then, I made an arm rest out of plexiglass and filled it with wiffle balls. I hope you like it.

Photography by Parker Argote

No comments:

Post a Comment