Monday, December 12, 2011

Lost Weekend NYC and Michael Halsband

Lost Weekend NYC in collaboration with Payal Arts International presents Michael Halsband: Surf. Opening reception will be held at Lost Weekend NYC on Thursday December 15th, 2011 from 6-9pm. This exhibition of photography captures the surfing communities of Southern California, Hawaii and Australia. Prints hang alongside Halsband's award winning surf documentary Surf Movie: reels 1-14 (2003). In The Surf Book (2004), Halsband's epic comprehensive survey of surf culture, he states:

"I grew up in Manhattan and, for as long as I can remember, I dreamed of being a surfer. I got my first taste when I was twelve years old, when my family was on vacation in South America. After years of coming close, I finally decided to start surfing full on. Little did I know that one day being a professional photographer would help bring me deep into the heart of surf culture and history. During the past four years, I have been accepted into this microcosm in a way that makes me feel as I have been surfing my whole life. The figure that made this possible is the legendary Joel Tudor. The adventure I have been on with him has exposed me to some of the people who have been crucial to the evolving technology and culture of surfing. I have sat, listened to, and photographed these individuals as they opened up with Joel in ways that they never would have with anyone else. There is a mutual respect between Joel and these individuals that is both deep and loving.”

Michael Halsband is a graduate of the School of Visual Arts. His photographic work includes iconic portraits of Andy Warhol, Jean-Michel Basquiat, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, The School of American Ballet, and sex industry workers. His work has been exhibited in museums and galleries throughout the world and has appeared in Vanity Fair, Time, Interview, ARTnews, GQ, Vogue, Life, and Self, among other publications. Payal Arts International in New York City represents Michael Halsband. Connections, an exhibition of twenty gelatin silver prints of 8x10 portraits by Michael Halsband is simultaneously on view at The Mandarin's Tea Room in SoHo, New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment